The Denson Firm

Cruisin’ For a Bruce-in: Insurance After A DUI

In Cruisin’ For A Bruce-in, we ride along with Florida Attorney Bruce Denson as he gives brief explanations on Florida Law and what to do in common legal situations.


Here's what you need to know about car insurance after you get a DUI.

As a condition of getting a DUI, the DMV is going to require that you carry an elevated level of insurance that comes with a special form either called an FR-44 or an SR-22 that's a document filed by the insurance company that shows the state that you have this elevated level of insurance.

So, for instance, let's say you and your wife share a car, it's the only car in the house, and she has to drive that car to take the kids to school, so it'd be a hardship on her and the children the judge can waive that 10-day requirement.

Insurance is going to be more expensive than what you had before, even if you've been with a company for 20 years. I wouldn't just automatically renew with them: you're going to need to shop it around you're going to probably need to pick a carrier, maybe, that you've never even heard of because of the expense related to this elevated level of insurance.

So, everybody is different. There's no one place that has a lower rate and so you're going to need to shop it around. We've got some ideas that we've received from other clients as to some potential leads for you to check out to look at for insurance, but even if you don't talk to us, make sure you call a couple of different companies for quotes because you're going to need to have the insurance that's required by the state in order for you to get your license, in order to keep the license, and then it's going to be required for three years so be prepared to have that in your budget as part of the resolution of any DUI case.

Further Thoughts

Florida Law requires drivers that have been convicted of driving under the influence may be required to buy SR-22 or FR-44 insurance in order to have their licenses reinstated. An SR-22 certificate of financial responsibility is a document filed with the state that your policy meets a certain minimum coverage required by law. Like the SR-22, the FR-44 is a document of financial responsibility which proves that you carry the minimum required car insurance. However, an FR-44 verifies you will carry double your state’s minimum liability requirements for the next three years. These additional limits tend to cause an increase in your insurance premiums - and you're required to pay for the filing of the SR-22 or FR-22, the cost of which depends on your insurance provider.


If you or a loved one are dealing with a criminal charge, we can help. Contact The Denson Firm immediately for a Free Consultation. We can help. Contact The Denson Firm immediately for a Free Consultation.

Need to know what to do after an arrest? Our Criminal Defense Process is designed specifically to help our client's in their long-term interests and immediate concerns.

Need help with another legal issue? We offer a wide variety of legal services to help those who are in need.

The Denson Firm

Free Confidential Case Evaluation

Do you have a specific question or just need some direction?
We will review your questions and will get back to you quickly.

© 2024 The Denson Firm. All rights reserved. Cookie Policy (EU)